Thursday, June 24, 2010

The first post, pre-Argentina!

So, this is my first blog but I thought that studying abroad for the next six months was a good reason to start one. I'm leaving this Friday, July 2 and I will get into Buenos Aires the morning of July 3. There is only a one hour time difference, Argentina is ahead, which will be nice for talking to the fam & friends back home. I've always enjoyed packing but when it is for six months and two seasons, it becomes a little more difficult. 
Ok, onto the exciting stuff, I am getting really excited about being in Argentina. I have never been to South America before so it's going to be great having adventures and seeing brand new places and meeting people! I've had lots of advice from friends and family who have been abroad and been to Argentina more specifically. Argentina is known for its beef, wine, tango, skiing in Patagonia, and of course, futbol!! I will get to be in Buenos Aires on Saturday for the World Cup game of Argentina vs. Germany! Futbol is life in Buenos Aires, they have the most teams per capita of any other city in the world! 
I'll be living in the Palermo Soho section of Buenos Aires. It is in the northern part of the city and Palermo is the largest neighborhood of Buenos Aires, separated into Palermo Viejo, Soho, Chico, Hollywood, and Alto Palermo. I'm living with four other girls from UR in a three-bedroom apartment. I'll be studying at UCA (Universidad Catolica Argentina) which is in Puerto Madero closer to the River Plate. Classes won't begin until August 2nd but I am going early because UR wants us to take a pre-semester Spanish language course which is three weeks long and then there is a four day orientation for UCA when I will register for my classes. 
Well, I need to finish packing and getting large quantities of my shampoo from Costco. The next time I post I'll be in Buenos Aires! Hasta luego!


2 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip! Make sure you find out where the soft drinks are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are there ! Can't wait to read about your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete