Monday, November 29, 2010

What I'll miss...

I'm in between packing and getting last minute things to bring home, alfajores & mate mostly and I'm thinking about all of the things I'm going to miss about Buenos Aires, Argentina, and South America. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be coming home, but after spending 5 months in another country, continent, and hemisphere I've learned a lot about myself, others, and the world...

  • I'm going to miss living in an apartment with four other people that I didn't previously know and who all have different views and opinions but I have now become good friends with and respect each one and their differences
  • I'm going to miss being responsible for washing dishes, cleaning up the apartment, getting toilet paper, and getting groceries
  • I'm going to miss walking or taking public transportation when I need to get somewhere 
  • I'm going to miss walking through Plaza de Mayo after taking the subte to get to class and seeing protesters and people selling everything from pan relleno con dulce de leche to peanuts to socks 
  • I'm going to miss traveling on the double decker buses for 20 hours to see some of the coolest, if not coolest, places I have ever seen
  • I'm going to miss going through the multicolored mountains of Salta
  • I'm going to miss the incredible waterfalls of Iguazu
  • I'm going to miss ziplining through the rainforest
  • I'm going to miss trying the wines of Maipu & Cuyo and going to the highest point of the Andes mountains in Mendoza
  • I'm going to miss the clear waters and high mountains of Bariloche
  • I'm going to miss visiting a friend in Chile and exploring Valparaiso and Viña del Mar
  • I'm going to miss drinking raspberry beer at Oktoberfest and camping in Villa General Belgrano
  • I'm going to miss Uruguay and golfkarting up the coast of Colonia
  • I'm going to miss biking to El Tigre and seeing something so different but only right up the coast of the river from BA
  • I'm going to miss the delicious fruit and avocados 
  • I'm going to miss the food: steak you can cut with a butter knife, parrilla libre, empanadas, milanesas, lomitos, ice cream, all of the sushi, Thai and Armenian restaurants in BA
  • I'm going to miss going to bars and boliches until 6 a.m. and then sleeping all day and doing it again the next night
  • I'm going to miss the porteños and their genuine interest in you and where you come from and what you're all about
  • I'm going to miss the hot weather
  • I'm going to miss running through the parks and gardens and smelling the roses 
  • I'm going to miss apartment dinners with the girls and previas in the apartment with friends
  • I'm going to miss the people I've met and the friends I've made
  • I'm going to miss my neighborhood, Palermo and it's great restaurants, boutiques, parks, and bars
  • I'm going to miss the Argentine peso, and not being able to divide every price I see by 4
  • I'm going to miss the reggaeton and dancing all night
  • I'm going to miss relaxing at the estancia and riding horses
  • I'm going to miss going to the ferias on the weekends and just hanging out listening to the concerts in the plazas
  • I'm going to miss riding the subte (wait) and seeing what people are selling to us or what musical talents they have for the riders
  • I'm going to miss cheering on the Boca Juniors at La Bombanera
  • I'm going to miss walking around the Recoleta Cemetery 
  • I'm going to miss walking down to La Boca and having a café on El Caminito
  • I'm going to miss the cobblestone streets of San Telmo
  • I'm going to miss the newness and docks of Puerto Madera
  • I'm going to miss UCA and the Bahia Bar...especially those ham and cheese sandwiches on a medialuna
  • I'm going to miss not having homework and having a different method and approach to learning
  • I'm going to miss sipping on mate and watching others and their friends drink their mate at school, in parks, on the streets. 
  • I'm going to miss the homeless guy who lives on the corner and is always dancing or doing something crazy in the street
  • I'm going to miss people asking me for directions on the street because they actually think I'm from here
  • I'm going to miss speaking Spanish and kissing people on the cheek when I first meet them
  • I'm going to miss city life and there never being a dull moment in BA

I'm going to miss so many more things, that I probably just haven't realized yet but I'll figure that out in the next couple weeks, I'm sure. I'm excited to go home, too. I've had an absolutely incredible five months and it's time to go back to my life in the States. So this is it, the end of my blog and the end of study abroad. Time for one more good-bye lunch with the chicas. Un besito grande para todos, chau chau <3>

No comments:

Post a Comment